Up-to-date defensive driving training specific to the motorcoach industry.
- (1) 21-Minute Video - Available on DVD (with extra bonus features), the program combines engaging video and editing technology with expertise from industry professionals at all levels.
- (1) Trainer Tools CD-ROM (not sold separately) - features a PowerPoint® presentation that can be used as is or customized. Also includes quizzes, answer keys, clip art, and a training log. The minimum computer system requirements for the Trainer Tools CD-ROM are Office 2000, with Word, and Internet Explorer version 5.5.
- (1) Defensive Driving Instructor's Guide (not sold separately) - Gives helpful tips and techniques for conducting training sessions.
- (10) Defensive Driving Driver's Handbook - Product Code: 26545 (506-H) - Review key points covered in the training.
- (1) Defensive Driving Awareness Poster - Product Code: 26561 (502-K -P) - Provides a visual reminder of important safety messages.
DVD Main Menu
- Play Program - Plays entire main program.
- Chapter Selections – Allows easy access to specific subtopics for more focused training.
- Defensive Driving - Defines defensive driving and makes a case that defensive driving begins with a thorough pre-trip vehicle inspection, an alert, engaged driver, route planning and a weather check.
- Seeing and Being Seen covers reviewing the previous DVIR and inspecting the general, overall condition of the coach.
- Adjusting mirrors and keeping mirrors and windshield clean for best visibility.
- Making sure all lights, turn signals, 4-way flashers and reflectors are clean and in good working order.
- Using a visual search/scan (12 to 15 seconds ahead and to both sides of the vehicle) to actively look for hazards and to avoid staring out the windshield and becoming distracted. Also covers using a visual scan when changing lanes or crossing intersections.
- Using turn signals, flashers and brake lights to communicate intentions to other motorists.
- Having Heightened Awareness -The second element of defensive driving. Covers:
- Hazard awareness and hazard perception, and looking for anything that’s a potential hazard.
- Decision processes (self-talk or playing what if) that help you avoid hazards and prevent crashes.
- Having a plan and being ready to carry out your plan when necessary
- The importance of being alert and ready to react to hazards.
- Keeping in mind that motorcoaches have a high center of gravity so quick stops and turns can easily result in crashes.
- Managing Your Speed and Space - The third element of defensive driving. Covers:
- Speed management, space management and the safety cushion.
- Adjusting speed and space to maintain visibility, match environmental conditions (traffic, weather, etc.) and maintain control of the vehicle to avoid a crash.
- Why you should always leave space (one side clear, ample forward space) to avoid a crash.
- Following distance, braking distance and stopping distance.
- The importance of maintaining complete control at all times.
- Crash prevention is your goal, and so is providing a smooth, safe and comfortable ride for your passengers.
- Summary - Provides a brief review of the six-step vehicle inspection procedure and a reminder to conduct on-the-road and post-trip inspections.
- Commentary – Offers interviews from professional motorcoach drivers and trainers, as well as passengers.
- Quiz – 10 interactive questions; offers correct/incorrect remediation to reinforce effectiveness of training. *
- Note to Trainers – Gives introduction to the topic and the training program. For trainers and management.
Basic System Requirements
- A 400 Mhz or faster Intel- compatible CPU
- A video card with AGP architecture and at least 4 MB of onboard RAM
- At least 128 MB of system RAM (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 users - 256 MB or more is recommended)
- The latest version of Microsoft DirectX
- A DVD-ROM drive (DVD discs cannot be read by CD-ROM equipment)