Culture is the shared values, traditions, norms, customs, art, history, folklore and institutions of a specific group of people. Cultural competency is the willingness and ability to interact respectfully and effectively with individuals and groups, acknowledging the common and different elements of our cultural identities. The result is words and actions that recognize, affirm and value the worth of individuals and communities and protect and preserve the dignity of each.
- Identify the elements of cultural competence in the workplace
- Increase understanding of their own cultural background and how it affects their perceptions and interpretations of other cultures
- Recognize the three dimensions of cultural awareness when interacting with other cultures
- Develop the skills needed to practice respectful and caring behavior toward culturally diverse individuals and groups
- Understand how values differ among cultures
- Identify different communication styles among diverse cultural groups
- Give and receive feedback in a caring, respectful way
- Adapt behaviors that support cultural competency and minimize behaviors that undermine it
- Cultural Competency Skills
- Generating Awareness About the World Around Us
- Effective Communication Skills
- Respectful Behaviors
Included in the download:
- A complete courseware package for a 4-hour classroom training event.
- Includes Instructor Guide, Participant Guide, PowerPoint Presentation, Course Overview, Learning Summary, Learning Materials, Action Plan, and Course Evaluation.
- Also included for online learning support, Supplemental Self-Study PowerPoint Course