Contrary to popular belief, mentoring is not an occasion where an older employee simply imparts all of their invaluable wisdom upon a younger, lesser experienced colleague. To make the mentoring relationship a success, there must be reciprocally tangible and intangible benefits for both mentee and mentor. A study by Gartner found that mentoring resulted in a higher rate of promotions and salary increases for both mentees and mentors as compared to those who did not participate in any mentoring relationship. But results like these are null if neither person works to make the relationship a success. It takes consistent communication, respect, and ownership at both ends.
From the perspective of both mentee and mentor, Mentoring 101 teaches participants how to ask the right questions, set up expectations, and establish measurements of success to ensure the relationship is a valuable use of each person’s time. Mentoring is not just for fast-tracked, star-potential employees. Everyone from millennials (the newest employees in the workforce) to CEOs can benefit from having a mentor. And for good reason: the Gartner study also found that mentoring resulted in promotions, salary increases and retention rates that were higher for both mentees and mentors than those who didn't participate at all.
- Identify the elements of a good mentoring match.
- Recognize the mentee's responsibilities in the mentoring relationship.
- Discover effective questioning techniques as a mentor.
- Deliver constructive criticism to help a mentee improve their abilities.
- Handle issues in the mentoring relationship.
- Successfully move beyond the mentoring relationship.
- Laying the Groundwork
- How to Be a Great Mentee
- How to Be a Great Mentor
- Navigating Challenging Issues
Included in the download:
- A complete courseware package for a 4-hour classroom training event.
- Includes Instructor Guide, Participant Guide, PowerPoint Presentation, Course Overview, Learning Summary, Learning Materials, Action Plan, and Course Evaluation.
- Also included for online learning support, Supplemental Self-Study PowerPoint Course