Leading remote employees is now a fact of life. Over 80% of teams and 90% of projects have at least one member not physically located with the rest of the group. In addition, a recent study from GlobalWorkplaceAnalytics.com showed that the number of employees who telecommute more than one day per week increased over 79% from 2005 to 2012.
While the principles of effective leadership and team management haven’t changed, maintaining peak performance and keeping employees engaged when separated by miles, time zones and culture is a tall task for any manager or organization.
Let’s be honest—leadership of others is already hard enough when they are down the hall or on the shop floor. When you add in the challenges of them being remote, it gets harder—and more stressful.
- How do we communicate successfully?
- How can we make meetings (that are already painful in person), work using technology?
- How do we build the relationships and trust with the team—and help them do that between each other?
- How do we present ideas, change and more at a distance?
- How do we coach and give feedback successfully?
- How do we deal with the unknowns? After all, we can’t see what they are doing, how they are doing it and if they are ever working?
If have ever struggled with even one of these questions, you know what we mean. Leadership is hard...doing it remotely is even harder.
This toolkit includes the following 18 courses:
- The Unique Aspects of the Virtual Work Environment
Find out what’s unique about leading within the virtual environment
- Classic Leadership with a Virtual Twist
Know what additional leadership actions are a must when leading others remotely
- Building Trust in the Virtual Environment
Shift your mindset to successfully build trust and lead others in the virtual environment
- Managing Remote Teams
Understand the challenges and obstacles managers face when leading remote teams
- Building Trust with Remote Teams
Identify what’s required to build trust and communication with your team
- Maximizing Virtual Tools
Increase your ability to use the tools available to manage others remotely
- The Pitfalls of Web-Based Meetings
Find out why web-based meetings are sometimes painful and ineffective
- Planning a Virtual Meeting
Know what is required to plan an effective virtual meeting
- Leading a Virtual Meeting
Build the skills required to lead successful virtual meetings
- Getting Ready for Your Virtual Presentation
Understand the challenges of presenting remotely and what’s required for success
- Web-based Presentation Basics
Integrate proven practices to ensure great web-based presentations each and every time
- Communication Techniques for Web-based Presentations
Deliver successful web-based presentations with three essential communication techniques
- Keys to Remote Accountability
Build the capabilities to overcome the challenges of holding people accountable remotely
- Collaborative Goal Setting at a Distance
Learn the keys to setting goals with people who aren’t located with you
- Helping Others Achieve GoalsLearn ways to support people in reaching their short and long term goals
- Coaching Others—The Basics
Learn how to apply the coaching model to your interactions with others
- Applying Coaching Remotely
Discover what’s required to coach others remotely
- Giving Remote Feedback
Build the skills required to provide feedback remotely
- Format: Self Pace / online e-Learning
- License Term: 12-month access (one individual user per license)
- Hardware and Software Requirements: The courses work well with Internet Explorer (v 8 - higher), Firefox, and Google Chrome. Please make sure you have Adobe Flash Player installed and that you are running the latest version of Flash Player, go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about to check your version or get Flash http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash. We highly recommend at least 2-3 Mbps connection speed.